Choosing the suitable electric connector can be a daunting task, given the various types available and the many factors to consider. However, opting for custom electrical connectors is the most reliable and efficient way to modify, improve, or downsize a system while ensuring smooth operation with minimal repair needs. This article provides a comprehensive overview of why individuals should choose custom connectors and offers tips for making superior choices for their projects.
The Reasons to Choose Custom Connectors
Although standard choices can be effective, the engineering community often finds that custom electrical connectors solutions are precisely what is required to address a problem and successfully complete a design project.
- Better safety profile: Engineers first create prototypes to evaluate different design elements for custom electrical connectors. These prototypes are put through stringent quality control measures to verify that critical safety and performance features are aligned with their proposed use, including wire gauge, voltage, insulation, ampacity, and mating force.
- High-end Quality: Matching precise specifications and performance criteria is paramount for custom projects. Quality must never be compromised. It is essential to adhere to industry standards but also fulfill unique requirements. This opens up an array of possibilities and solutions tailored to the project’s needs.
- Transparency: Custom electrical connectors require project teams’ approval for precise design specifications, ensuring clear deliverable expectations. Off-the-shelf solutions need more certainty, as manufacturers can alter designs without notice, potentially causing safety and performance issues and non-compliance in specific applications.
- Cost-effective: Custom connectors may not come with a higher price tag compared to standard offerings. Depending on the specific application, the ability to personally select each component grants design teams the flexibility to remove redundant functionalities, acquire materials efficiently, and manage costs effectively.
Tips to Consider the Best
In order to choose the most suitable custom connectors, one must adhere to the following steps.
- Identify the requirements: Signal combinations impact connector type, pinout, and wiring. High-frequency signals may need coaxial connections, while low-level analog signals require shielding. Some varieties can’t share a connector. High voltage may require safety distances. High currents might demand more pins and larger wires. Custom solutions might be necessary based on unique design needs.
- Confirm the reliability level: When purchasing electric connectors, individuals should also take reliability into account. However, reliability is a multifaceted concept influenced by various factors. These specifications serve as a guide in selecting the suitable electric connector for each specific application.
- Consider current rating and operating voltage: Rating quantifies the maximum current capacity that a mating terminal can accommodate, typically expressed in amps per circuit. The current flow should be adjusted or derated based on the number of circuits within a specific housing, taking into consideration the temperature increase near the adjacent terminal.
To sum up, the article has provided the reasons to choose custom electrical connectors and essential tips to choose the best. Moreover, the key factors include circuit dimensions, engagement force, wire size, configuration, and operating voltage. Some project teams may be initially drawn to off-the-shelf solutions due to cost, but those valuing long-term quality and performance opt for custom connectors designed and tested for their specific application.